By Ginny Paton – Lifestyle PR london
Facts and figures
- Sarcoma is a type of cancer that affects soft tissue and bones.
- Sarcoma makes up less than one percent of new cancer cases in the UK, ie approximately 3,800 new cases per annum.
- Compared to more common cancers, awareness of sarcoma is poor.
- Sarcoma UK is the only British charitable organisation that works with every type of sarcoma cancer.
- A key aspect of the work of Sarcoma UK is to increase awareness of sarcoma cancers.
- House PR has been appointed by Sarcoma UK to support it in its work to promote awareness of sarcoma.
a) To extract the maximum PR value from Sarcoma UK being selected by the office of the British Prime Minister as Downing Street’s Charity of the Year for 2016.
b) To help and support Sarcoma UK in its Sarcoma awareness mission during Sarcoma Awareness Week, which will run during 4-10 July.
Background of brief
Sarcoma UK was selected as Downing Street’s Charity of the Year for 2016 as a tribute to Chris Martin. Chris worked as David Cameron’s Principal Private Secretary and was struck down by sarcoma at the end of 2015. His colleagues at 10 Downing Street were instrumental in getting Sarcoma UK named as Downing Street’s Charity of the Year for 2016.
Sarcoma UK and House PR
Sarcoma UK selected House PR to support it in its ongoing work to raise awareness about sarcoma because of its extensive experience working with charities – Lindsey Bennister, Sarcoma UK CEO
House PR will be closely involved with the communications team at Sarcoma UK to raise awareness about sarcoma, with the ultimate aims of improving the rate of early diagnoses and increase donations to Sarcoma UK, a crucial aspect of the charity’s fundraising efforts for research – Ginny Paton, House PR MD article in The Drum